Technology has made it easier for young entrepreneurs to start a business today and take advantage of so many opportunities. In addition to learning how to manage a business, attract media attention, and give back to their communities, one opportunity that every entrepreneur should take advantage of is to publish a book.
Here are 7 reasons why:
- You have entrepreneurial experience and/or information to share. Whether you have achieved success with your business venture or if you have failed and made mistakes along the way, everything you have learned is of value that you can share with others.
- Publishing a book creates credibility and respect. Adding author to your resume can elevate you to a new level as an expert. Whatever the subject is for your book, chances are you have done a considerable amount of research or information gathering which can translate to customers and clients seeking your advice and assistance more often.
- A book can help you grow your business. You have probably been working on building your brand since you started your business. Once your book is published, your brand is instantly enhanced. With the right marketing, you can reach more readers, customers, clients, as well as the media.
- It creates passive income. Writing a book will take time and publishing a book is not an easy process but it is a very real option today, especially with the advances in self-publishing. Marketing is where the real work comes in. The majority of self-published authors do not get rich and most need to keep their day job but once you have made it to this point, a well-marketed book can generate extra income that you may not have had otherwise.
- You may inspire other young entrepreneurs to try their ideas. Words are very powerful. The great thing about a book is that you never know who may read it, what effect you may have on someone, and how you may inspire or encourage them. Getting your story or information in written form is a great way to give back or pay it forward without even realizing it.
- A book can create more opportunities. Your business may be successful but having a published book can draw more attention from the media, increase speaking opportunities, as well as generate more clients or customers. Many authors have also received partnerships or sponsorships because of their books.
- It’s a feeling of accomplishment that will be better than you can imagine. During the writing and publishing process, chances are there will be times when your patience is short and you just want to get it done and see it in print. However, keep focused on producing a quality book that you can be proud of and I guarantee that when you hold that first copy in your hands, it will be worth everything you went through to become a published author.
Every author publishes for a different reason or goal. Whatever yours is, start writing today. No excuses. If you don’t understand the publishing industry, you have the world at your fingertips to research information. If you need assistance, there are many good resources and options for that also.
One thing to remember. There is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to publishing a book. The method that works for one may not be right for the next person. It’s important to look at the different options, have all the information, and then make the best decision that fits your needs.
Nancy O’Neill is the author of the children’s series, “Guess What?” and also a self-publishing coach. She has worked with authors on business books, memoirs, children’s books (in English and Spanish), as well as poetry books. If you are interested in self-publishing, feel free to contact Nancy at email@example.com.